Running Report [6.7-13]

0

Category : , ,

After 3 weeks of using Hal Higdon's Spring Training speedwork plan I have to admit that while I am running faster, I have yet to do any two weeks the same or according to plan.  Such is the life of husband and father of 3 who has other things besides running in his life.  So far I have only missed one workout, but I have learned to make some modifications in order to get everything done.  This week Meg started running again in order to get ready for the Soaring Wings Half Marathon.  We also went with our girls to Hot Springs in order to spend the weekend at the lake with some of our best friends in the world, the Smiths.
Here are some shots from the weekend:
The husbands beat the wives by one stroke.
That's me making sure the kids don't get us kicked out.
As you can see, I'm really paying attention.


Even at the 10th hole we're still trying to teach Lucie the rules!

Overall, a great weekend! A big part of life is simply figuring out how to balance everything you have going on. So here's how I moved my running around this week in order to get it all done:

Monday: Easy 4 mile run. I only went 3.71 in 34:37 (9:20 pace). I took a wrong turn and ended up a little short on the distance, but this was suppose to be an easy run anyway, so I wasn't too worried about it.
Tuesday: Hill Day.  Today the goal was to hit 4 hill sprints after a 1-1.5 mile warm up.  The over all pace for the 3.04 that I ran was 27:15.  The sprints were done over a 1/4 mile at an average pace of 6:18.  No breaks, just get to the top of the hill and jog back down.  Over the next few weeks as I continue to do this workout the two things I am looking for are: 1. Faster total average pace and 2. Faster pace on the hill sprints.
Wednesday: Easy 3 Miles. 3.14 in 26:21 (8:24 pace). Not bad considering that after this workout was over I went home and did P90X Core Synergistics for another 50 minutes. Today the 3 miles just seemed easy.
Thursday: 35 Minute Tempo Run. The goal was to do three 12 minute sessions at different paces. I ran 4.51 in 38:53 (8:37 overall pace).  Looking back at the workout thanks to Garmin Connect I was able to see that I hit my target paces for each of the 3 sessions.
Friday: P90X Legs and Back. Meg and her friend Angela had not had a chance to run together in several weeks, so they got up early to run and I stayed at home and focused on a weight lifting session instead.  It was good to do something besides run today, but my glutes were dying after the workout!
Saturday: 5.65 in 53:14.  I forgot how many hills there were around Hot Springs! There also weren't any paths where we were at, although now that I am writing this I can remember a trail that winds through the back part condo complex we stayed at this weekend. Anyway, again I ended up a little short because I miss calculated how long the return trip would take, however, I also knew we would be going out on the boat and that I needed to get back.  It all workout out because we ended up swimming and being on a paddle boat for about 45 minutes-1 hour, so I got my workout in.
Sunday: A day of rest. I needed it after this week.

Overall, another great week of training. I have been using the book, Runner's Edge to really help me improve my goals for each training session.  Thanks to the advice found there I feel like I have a better plan in place that will help me train better.  

So how did your week go?
Any summer 5k or 10ks coming up?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails